How to take care of baby’s teeth | read everything about taking care of gums, prevention from cavities, teaching babies how to brush
A baby’s teeth appear at an age between seven months to 24 months. This process when teeth start to appear can be very irritating and painful for the kids due to soreness and swelling of the gums. Using chilled spoon, teething rings, gauze or wet clean clothes to rub on the gums and teeth can be soothing for babies and it will make them less fussier.
Taking care of gums
Care of gums is as important as taking care of baby’s teeth.
- Don’t ignore baby’s gums just because teething process has not yet started.
- Do take care of gums by wiping gums with a soft gauze or cloth to remove any bacteria. Though bacteria cannot harm the gums, it is better to start doing at an early age so that babies get habitual to it.
- You don’t require any toothpaste for your baby before their teeth appear, but after that it’s a good idea to use a toothpaste with an appropriate amount of fluoride.
- Don’t let babies eat or swallow the toothpaste.
- Do make sure that that you use only a pea-sized toothpaste for the babies. A large amount of fluoride can also be harmful for baby’s teeth.
- Do brush baby’s teeth twice a day, once in the morning and again at bedtime.
- Do ask the child to spit any excessive toothpaste and not to swallow it.
- Do stay near the child while he/she is brushing so that you can supervise if they are brushing their teeth properly at least for two minutes. For making it interesting for children, you can sing songs with them while brushing, do it with them so that they can learn by seeing and copying what you do.
- Don’t let the child use a brush with worn out bristles as it can damage the gums of the child.
Teaching babies how to brush
Though most of the children will find it a boring to brush their teeth, you can make sure that they do it properly by making making it an interesting activity. Teaching kids how to brush properly is a basic step towards taking care of baby’s teeth.
It is your responsibility as a parent to teach your kids how to brush.
- Do teach them by telling them how to hold and move a brush by guiding their hands in the right motions.
- Do use mirrors while your child is brushing because it will help the child notice and learn where and how to use a brush.
- Don’t let them keep brush in their mouth for long and also don’t let them play like this. It could hurt their teeth and gum.
Meeting with dentist
- Do take your child to dentist when his/her teeth start to appear or when he/she is one year old. The dentist will check if there is any need of any special care to be taken for your child’s teeth or if there is any pre existing problems.
- Do take them for regular checkups so that they are habitual to this and also to prevent any problems.
- Don’t scare the child about dentist.
Prevention from cavities
Cavities usually occur due to things that contain a lot of sugar or are allowed to be in the mouth for a long time. Food that may cause cavities in child are fruits, juice, peanut butter, jelly etc. Food with good amount of starch in them like bread, pasta etc. help in preventing cavities. Always prevent baby’s teeth from cavities.
Fluoride varnish or fissure sealants
Fluoride varnish are high concentration of fluoride that is applied on the back molars of the children(even adults) to provide a protective layer to prevent bacteria from causing any damage.
Fissure sealants are plastic coatings that perform the same function as fluoride varnish to prevent attack of bacteria on the chewing surfaces of the molars.
Do take your child to the dentist for applying this protective cover on your child’s teeth every three to six months.
The above mentioned tips will help you take care of your child’s teeth in a good way and prevent any teeth issues in future.